New Digital Negative to Platinum Palladium PrintingWorkshop with Don Messec
New Digital Negative Platinum – Palladium printing
Welcome support of Hahnemuehle USA
Limited to 8 participants to assure more hands on and printing.
Platinum-Palladium printing has always been one of photography’s most loved looks. Historically it had been limited in size by the original negative and demanding to print. Even recent attempts to make the process less complicated using digital inkjet negatives have left many frustrated by how often they require a new Photoshop curve to produce the best print. Not any more.
With Piezography developing PiezoDN, an entirely new QTR profile system specifically for creating digital negatives the process has never been more reliable and repeatable adding far longer tonal range and contrast – as if platinum-palladium prints weren’t already stunning. I find myself in love again with platinum-palladium printing. Moving efficiently from image refinements to a reliable negative system to repeatable prints platinum-palladium printing has entered a new era. It turned the way I see my own work on fire.
We will go through studio set up to printers, custom profiles, chemicals, papers and coating, safe practices, PiezoDN digital negatives, exposure using different light sources, basically – the works. I am excited to add this gorgeous printmaking medium to the array of processes taught at MakingArtSafely.
5 days will be dedicated to studio work – you will learn the process so you can go home and set yourself up. Weather and interest permitting we will be spent some time out shooting. Several printers will be set up to create your digital negatives and in this new approach it will be possible to print digital positive paper proofs before committing to a digital negative and platinum-palladium printing. While the process is now far more reliable and efficient, it is still expensive to do all of your proofing with metal, even though it is far less so though due to fewer failed prints.
Workshop is on! Still room for a few more.
Each student will receive enough paper, platinum-palladium mix, sensitizer and contrasting agent for 20 5x7 prints. Spreader, developer, distilled water, transparency material, specialized negative printing ink sets and other communal needs are also included. It is an expensive process especially in terms of chemicals which is fairly reflected in your General Studio fee.
The studio is equipped with Epson printers, work surfaces, a few computers and very high end Olec exposure unit, pizza oven exposure unit, contact frames and typically lots of sunshine.
What to Bring
- Note your General Studio Fee is not purely a materials fee but include an extensive array of relevant communal shop needs, costs and consumables.
- Source materials such as digitized drawings and digital photographs in the following formats – PSD, jpg, TIFF, RAW. Bring original files at original resolution in addition to any processed or manipulated versions. It can be useful to go back to an unmodified file to re-interpret the image once you have a print in hand.
- Digital camera if you have one. Of course you will take pictures and video!
- Jump drive (thumb drive or other portable read/write media)
- Laptop if you have one. Especially if it has Photoshop and/or Lightroom. If you do not have any of this software consider downloading a trial version for the workshop. This is more important in Canada and EU as the host studios rarely have digital equipment for you to use. I bring some, but not much.
- Large enough luggage and/or box to pack prints, with stiff protector (cardboard or matt board). Paper will be torn down to approximately 10x11”
That’s it! Any questions about supplies, please feel free to contact us.
- Monday morning begins with students arriving at the studio between 9:30-10 AM.
- Daily instruction is 10 AM to 4 PM with the studio open to students between 9:30 AM and 7 PM. Exception is Friday when the workshop ends at 4 PM.
- Bring a lunch everyday except Tuesday when we go out Dutch for a late lunch
- Thursday night we host a dinner in our courtyard. Companion welcome.
- If opportunity and conditions collide we may get to add a photo excursion.
PricingCost Break Out
- Registration: $1124.00
- NM Tax: $81.49
- Total: $1205.49