The New PiezographyWorkshop with Jon Cone
June 11-15, 2018
Welcome support of Hahnemühle USA
Limited to 12 – 6 left
Added to the array of ink sets and printers this year we will have at least one 4900 running the full Pro system. Could be that’s not all…
Piezography is the highest quality digital printing system, taught here by its mastermind, supported by a lot of printers with the expectation everyone will get lots of practical experience. Whether you print B&W or color, piezography printing makes unparalleled digital prints and the workshop here may be the only workshop available by Jon Cone, developer of piezography, outside of Vermont. We focus on B&W printing in this workshop but the lessons learned are also essential to color piezography printing. Don’t pass on this workshop just because you are a color printer.
Piezography Reimagined refers to the immense evolution of Jon Cone’s piezography essentials course here at MakingArtSafely. Taking from lessons learned over the past 10 offering of this course we feel we have developed our approach and studio layout to truly deliver on the promise of piezography and Jon’s unique understanding of the digital photographic print. To keep our eyes on that prize Jon has developed a course syllabus that gives an excellent experience in your 5-days here.
Jon Cone is already well known for his Piezography ink jet printing process, setting a standard in quality and fidelity that Canon, Epson, and HP have yet to achieve. If you haven’t been keeping up, Piezography has come a long way. Jon is not one to sit on past accomplishments. So come ready to expand your horizons for what inkjet can do for your portfolio expectations. And come hungry. When Jon is here foodie is here. The first time Jon taught here he shipped his own paella pan. I bought Jon a 40” Paella pan and grill to fuel the persistent rumor that Jon will cook and teach how to make paella outdoors in Santa Fe’s wonderful weather. Okay, so food by Jon is somewhat weather dependent. Piezography less so. We don’t get hurricanes or tornadoes, typically.
With a mastery of Piezography, not only will you be able to exceed the B&W limitations and longevity of Epson’s ABW, you will learn paper too is an essential part of your palette and we provide numerous papers. You will learn how easy it is now to get up and printing with Piezography, keep your printer working, gain experience into how to judge your prints and paper choices, and how Jon approaches the workflow “old school.”
While not the focus of this workshop we will demo the latest digital negative process, it relieves you of the hit and miss approach of by-eye curve building. These new transparencies can be used to make silver halide darkroom prints, gorgeous platinum and palladium prints, or many other types of printing that requires a transparency. Sorry if Jon has made this easy.
Jon will take you from basics to mind blown in five days. If doing your own inkjet printing is not in your near future, Jon will teach you how to prepare and pre-visualize your files for output from a growing list of Piezography printing providers across the Country.
Artists who have experience in photography and digital.
The class is intended to help you make better choices going forward on your own. To make that possible the studio comes setup with all of the basic Piezography ink sets preloaded in printers: Neutral, Warm Neutral, Carbon, Selenium, Special Edition and some onsite mixed sets. There will be plenty of Cone Edition Type 2 and 5 papers at 8 1/2x11” and 13x19” paper plus an assortment of other papers including Canson, BFK Rives, Epson, Hahnemuhle and Moab. The average student will leave with 20-30 prints.
What to Bring
- Source materials such as digital photographs, either scanned film or digital originals.
- Images in digital format. PSD, jpg, TIFF, RAW file formats are all common and work. Bring original files at original resolution in addition to any processed or manipulated versions.
- Digital camera if you have one. Of course you will take pictures and video!
- Jump drive (thumb drive or other portable read/write media)
- Laptop if you have one. Especially if it has Photoshop, Lightroom, or Photoshop Elements. If you do not have any of this software consider downloading a trial version for the workshop.
- Large enough luggage to pack small and medium prints, with stiff protector (cardboard or matt board).
- Note: Your General Studio Fee is not a pure materials fee but does include an extensive array of relevant communal shop needs including digital printing papers and Cone inks.
That’s it! Any questions about supplies, please feel free to contact us.
- Monday morning begins with students arriving at the studio between 9:30-10 AM.
- Daily instruction is 10 AM to 4 PM with the studio open to students between 9:30 AM and 7 PM. Exception is Friday when the workshop ends at 4 PM.
- Bring a lunch everyday except Tuesday when we go out Dutch for a late lunch
- Thursday night we host a dinner in our courtyard. Companion welcome.
- If opportunity and conditions collide we may get to add a photo excursion.
- Registration: $1,299.00
- NM Tax: $94.18
- Total: $1,393.18
- Refunds: please read before registering