The New PiezographyWorkshop with Jon Cone
June 12-16, 2017
UPDATE MARCH 27, 2017 Piezography Pro to be added to workshop!
Limited to 12
New in 2017, Piezography Pro has been released and Jon will introduce the principles of this magic system, how it works, how you use it, in addition to a thorough course on art of Piezography.
Piezography Reimagined refers to several aspects of Jon Cone’s Piezography Basics course here at MakingArtSafely. Taking from lessons learned over the past 9 offering of this course we feel we have developed our approach and studio layout to truly deliver on the promise of Piezography and Jon’s unique understanding of the digital photographic print. To keep our eyes on that prize Jon has developed a course syllabus that gives an excellent overview of your 5-days here. You can view the syllabus here, New Piezography Syllabus. The next big improvements relate to layout of the studio, now giving the course 2 spaces to spread into which allows separation from print space and digital production space. Included in this are the addition of Windows based to the studios Mac computers for printer drivers and Epson’s 1430 printers to the existing array of other Epson printers. So no matter what your setup at home you are going to be able to approximate that here.
Jon Cone is already well known for his Piezography ink jet printing process, setting a standard in quality and fidelity that Canon, Epson and HP have yet to achieve. If you haven’t been keeping up, Piezography has come a long way. Jon is not one to sit on past accomplishments. So come ready to expand your horizons for what ink jet can do for your portfolio expectations. And come hungry. When Jon is here we like food here (really, we like food all the time). I bought Jon a 40” Paella pan and grill to fuel the persistent rumor that Jon will cook and teach how to make paella outdoors in Santa Fe’s wonderful weather. Okay, so food by Jon is somewhat weather dependent. Piezography less so. We don’t get hurricanes or tornadoes, typically.
With a mastery of Piezography, not only will you be able to exceed the B&W limitations of Epson’s ABW. paper you will learn is an essential part of your palette and we provide numerous papers. You will learn how easy it is now to get up and printing with Piezography, keep your printer working, gaining experience into how to judge your prints and paper choices, and how Jon approaches the workflow “old school.”
While taught in another workshop we will demo the newest ink set and technology that makes transparencies, relieving you of the hit and miss approach of personal curve building. These new transparencies can be used to make silver halide darkroom prints, gorgeous platinum and palladium prints, or many other type of printing that requires a transparency. Sorry if Jon has made this easier.
Jon will take you from basics to mind blowing in five days. If doing your own inkjet printing is not in your near future, Jon will teach you how to prepare and pre-visualize your files for output from a growing list of Piezography printing providers across the Country.
Artists who have experience in photography and digital.
ONLY 1place remains!
The class is intended to help you make better choices going forward on your own. To make that possible the studio comes setup with all of the basic Piezography ink sets preloaded in printers: Neutral, Warm Neutral, Carbon, Selenium, Special Edition and some onsite mixed sets. There will be plenty of Cone Edition Type 2 and 5 papers at 8 1/2x11” and 13x19” paper plus an assortment of other papers including Canson, BFK Rives, Epson, Hahnemuhle and Moab. The average student will leave with 20-30 prints.
What to Bring
- Source materials such as digital photographs, either scanned film or digital originals.
- Images in digital format. PSD, jpg, TIFF, RAW file formats are all common and work. Bring original files at original resolution in addition to any processed or manipulated versions.
- Digital camera if you have one. Of course you will take pictures and video!
- Jump drive (thumb drive or other portable read/write media)
- Laptop if you have one. Especially if it has Photoshop, Lightroom, or Photoshop Elements. If you do not have any of this software consider downloading a trial version for the workshop.
- Large enough luggage to pack small and medium prints, with stiff protector (cardboard or matt board).
- Note: Your General Studio Fee is not a pure materials fee but does include an extensive array of relevant communal shop needs including digital printing papers and Cone inks.
That’s it! Any questions about supplies, please feel free to contact us.
- Monday morning begins with students arriving at the studio between 9:30-10 AM.
- Daily instruction is 10 AM to 4 PM with the studio open to students between 9:30 AM and 7 PM. Exception is Friday when the workshop ends at 4 PM.
- Bring a lunch everyday except Tuesday when we go out Dutch for a late lunch
- Thursday night we host a dinner in our courtyard. Companion welcome.
- If opportunity and conditions collide we may get to add a photo excursion.
PricingCost Break Out
- Registration: $799.00
- Studio Fee: $350.00
- NM Tax: $83.30
- Total: $1232.30