Modern LithographyWorkshop with Jeff Sippel
July 10-14, 2017
Limited to 10
Modern Lithography is the post stone age approach to this beautiful process. Lithography is known for its ability to more than any other print convey the direct mark of the artist in print, except now it does much more: simpler, faster, safer, in less space with many fewer chemicals, tools and equipment. Did I mention at lower cost?
The three primary approaches taught in this workshop are photo plate lithography, waterless lithography and Mokolito – Japanese wood plate lithography. Each allows marks and tones to be created differently, honoring the mark of the hand as well as incorporating other approaches to creating marks and images.
Modern Lithography processes are also among of the finest processes for making well registered multi-plate, multi-color editions. If you are a painter, a photographer, a printmaker, a pencil or ink person you may conclude Modern Lithography is the missing link in your art making repertoire.
Only 4 spaces left
In addition to the instructors’ free of charge banter and teaching, the course includes enough aluminum plates to do all waterless techniques demonstrated, a good choice of wood panels for mokulito, and photo lithography plates. Of course there is ink and some paper along with other required materials and tools. See What to Bring for additional suggestions of tools and materials.
What to Bring
Described below are additional items for Modern Lithography you may want to bring:
- Idea source materials such as your drawings and photographs.
- Water base brushes – a variety of sizes to suit your working style. Studio has some communal brushes.
- Collage materials – washi papers, old prints/drawings, photos, photocopied material, found materials – this is totally open to each participant; (local art stores have loads of papers)
- Favorite drawing and mark making materials.
- Good hand pencil sharpener for soft leads (electric sharpener provided in studio)
- Large enough luggage to pack small and medium prints, with stiff protector (cardboard or matt board). Prints from this class will typically be 11x15″ and 15x20″ which should fit airline size restrictions.
- Note your General Studio Fee is used to provide an extensive array of relevant shop needs, including: ink, ink knives, modifiers, cleaning supplies, paper towels and rags, tarlatan, newsprint, mat knives, aprons, some drawing acetates, india ink, and a thorough list of other communal creative print shop needs. What is not covered by your fees are printing paper not already included and other non-communal printing supplies.
That’s it! Any questions about supplies, please feel free to contact us.
- Monday morning begins with students arriving at the studio between 9:30-10 AM.
- Daily instruction is 10 AM to 4 PM with the studio open to students between 9:30 AM and 7 PM. Exception is Friday when the workshop ends at 4 PM.
- Bring a lunch everyday except Tuesday when we go out Dutch for a late lunch
- Thursday night we host a dinner in our courtyard. Companion welcome.
PricingCost Break Out
- Registration: $649.00
- Studio Fee: $250.00
- NM Tax: $65.18
- Total: $964.18